Aug 14, 2010

Lunch with Microsoft

Another reason why Bacon Wrapped Games is a cool name, is because of Kevin Bacon. He's like a bacon wrapped dude.  For starters, every one practically knows him or at least has a cousin's friend's aunt who knows him.

He starred in Footloose, and on top of that we have a programmer named Kevin. He's an awesome guy and an awesome programmer and since he makes bacon wrapped games, that makes him kind of like his own version of Kevin Bacon.

OK, enough on that for now.

Today I had lunch with my friends from Microsoft, and without making a full pitch, I told them the basic premise and some of my ideas for Killer Kenn.

I left a little depressed.  It's not that they didn't like the ideas, it's just that the Xbox Live Arcade just isn't the small little indy friendly place it used to be.  It has turned into a bottom line, profit making machine that doesn't really care about who gets bloodied, tossed out or dies along the way.  *sigh* ahhh those good old days of making Cloning Clyde...

Anyway, I guess I knew it would eventually go that way.  I mean we are working with Microsoft right?

One of the things I've been learning about Microsoft lately is that getting promotional help from them on your game is basically a crap shoot.  So basically this is how it works. You spend years of your life as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars, perhaps even millions, to make a game.

And then right before it ships they'll take a look at it and say "Hmmm. Do we think the market will like this game?" You hold your breath for couple of weeks or months while they magically come up with their answer and decide whether they'll promote your game and help you make it become a huge success, or not promote it making it a completely invisible doomed to fail miserably.

After hearing that, I'm sure you're just dying to invest in Killer Kenn, right?

Well, why not? After all, we're crazy enough to make another game.

So, on to Kenn.  I've been working on finalizing our "look" or art style for Killer Kenn.  I thought I'd start right off with showing the model we've got for Kenn.  This is un-textured and unanimated and not in our engine, so it doesn't have all the fancy shaders we'll be using or anything, but it should at least give you a rough idea of our main hero.

1 comment:

  1. Marketing is lame. I'm glad other people do that. I guess making a game is in itself a game.

    ReplyDelete